If you are distributing a sound recording that embodies a composition (lyrics and/or melody) that you do not own, you are required by U.S. copyright law to obtain a mechanical license. Through our partnership with Loudr, you can provide Stem with composition metadata and we will procure the necessary license for you. You can learn more about distributing a cover song here.
Articles in this section
- Can I distribute my medley or mashup through Stem?
- Do I need to request multiple licenses for the same cover song?
- How long does it take for Loudr to approve my license request?
- How much does a mechanical license cost?
- What can I do if Loudr rejects my license request?
- What composition metadata does Loudr collect?
- What is a cover song?
- What is Loudr?
- Where can I find the composition metadata for my cover song?
- Why do I need a mechanical license?